Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New photos (Firehouse, Barn, & Bedroom)




















I can't say that I'm quite ready to talk about these photos, but I wanted to share my latest tinkerings, even if they are entirely unpolished. That being said, here's the deal:

These are photographs of some playsets that my mom recently pulled out of her basement, where she's long stored all of the toys my brothers and I used to play with. I was immediately fascinated with them; it'd been so long since I'd seen them that I could remember how I used to see them, and see them in a totally new way too. At the same time, I'd been thinking about working with models since so many of my series had to do with inhabiting a small space, shifts in scale, etc. Oddly, I tried to find some models at my local thrift store before borrowing these from my mom.

So these are early efforts. More work needs to be done. I just broke my last light bulb, so this seems like as good a stopping point as any to throw them up here, and think about them. Oh, and there's one more note - the third one, I believe, is a more recent purchase of my mom's, meaning that I didn't grow up with this one. At least, I don't think I did.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I think the light works really well in the first one...

Steve said...

Thanks! I had a heck of a time lighting the second one, as it has no real windows. Still trying to think of better strategies - I'm sure that I will though.