Thursday, April 2, 2009

Polly's Boutique Playset





I must confess that this new playset was one of the more difficult to photograph. This is because the playset is very small and absolutely packed with stuff. The central building also happens to be transparent, which didn't show up very well regardless of the background. As you can see, I ended up lighting the entire set from that clear building, and I think it turned out pretty well. Beyond serving the basic functions of making the space feel less 'busy and preventing you from seeing the areas where the playset doesn't extend to the edge of the frame, the lighting gives the whole space a magical quality that I think is interesting. I'd liken that quality to some of the Disney light-up castle playsets I've seen. 

There are two variations here - the only difference is that in the lower image I've burned in the interior of the central building using a second exposure I made. I could burn that in more or less.

I'm not sure if this image is taken from too high of a vantage point to make you feel like you're in the space; the advantage to the height is that you can actually see the things that are happening much better. 

I also want to mention that this is the first 'outdoor' playset in the series, which I think is important. Hopefully I will add more pieces with this landscape quality.

No comments: